Watching a number of bike riders zip around without their helmets, or motorists driving while talking on the mobile phones; has prompted me to write this post. People seem to be underestimating the importance of road safety and rules to be followed, in the favor of bravado and recklessness. It is easy to reduce the risk of road accidents and road side injury if everybody, pedestrians, motorists, cyclists, passengers, they all follow some simple rules. These days each household in the large cities seem to be owning many cars, one for each person in the family, and that is causing more traffic and hence more hazards on the roads! I feel that if we all pledge to follow these rules as we navigate our way through the city, we will make the city safer and more habitable for ourselves and our children!
- Do not talk on mobile phones while driving or riding.
- Follow the lanes, do not try to overtake or switch lanes
- Follow the speed limits, do not over speed
- Use the horn sparingly to avoid noise pollution
- Keep your car checked for emissions to avoid air pollution
- Regularly check car safety measures like brake, gears and other instruments
- Follow the road signs mean for your effective navigation
- Keep distance from the vehicle ahead
- Wear seat belts, as they are big saviors during accidents!
- Respect pedestrians and cyclists as they are very vulnerable
- If you are a pedestrian, cross at the zebra crossing
- Children should be taught about road safety early through practical lessons. They should be taught so that they can grow up to become better motorists, riders and pedestrians. Not only this, they can teach their own parents on many occasions too, by pointing out when parents flout a rule or do something careless!
According to the statistics (World Health Organization, 2008), it is found that most of the hospitalization cases and leading cause of death are because of the road trauma. This can be handled if we spend a little time becoming aware of road safety rules, learning about road signs and help each other navigate through the roads better. Remember that it is not just about you, others are also equally entitled to make use of the infrastructure, hence please do not treat the roads as if they only belong to you. if we all work and live together amicably and in a supportive way, then not only the roads but also our city, country and the world will becomes a more beautiful place!
Hope my post was useful? Do share with me if you are doing something interesting or innovative in your locality or family to make road safety a bigger priority, while helping the navigation on roads?